Saturday, July 5, 2014

Journal Post 07/05/2014

Well my Independence Day round number two begins this evening. This is only secondary to a very special occasion. Today is my Grandmother’s 74th birthday! What an inspiration this woman is. She was the oldest of seven siblings and she raised all of them alongside her mother, who for the most part was too busy taking care of homemaker chores and farm chores to pay much mind to the children. Their father did the best he could; he worked several jobs to support all eight children, but was rarely physically there for them. My Grandmother, despite all odds was able to continue her education past high school and at the age of 40 became a real estate agent. Her and my grandfather built their own little real-estate agency and they were modestly successful. Their kindness and generosity became their downfall, loaning money to friends and family in need. Reaching out to anyone who asked for help; the most devastating came from a gentleman who begged my grandparents to contract him for a large job of building a house. A significantly large amount of money was given to this individual to start the job and within two weeks and having no work done that money was lost. This man had blown every last dime he was given on gambling and then committed suicide. My grandparents ate every bit of the loss; it was a tragedy for all involved. All I ever heard them say about the ordeal was that they were so sorry for the family who lost someone dear to their hearts. That is a prime example of the way my grandparents live and lived their lives. My Grandpa passed away May 17th, 2010; it has been so hard on Nanny but she is so strong. She lives every day like it is a blessing. I hope to have her strength as I age and progress through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment