Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Journal Post 07/02/2014



PowerPoint Presentations today in my computer class. I have heard so many people talking about how incredibly anxious they are to speak publicly. I used to have that same phobia, when I was younger I would have rather pulled my hair out of my scalp than to speak in front of a crowd. However ever since I took a job at the Pain Management Center I have had absolutely no issue speaking in front of people. OK, actually I need to back up one year previous. I was working in the Endoscopy Lab inside Cox South, I was approached by my then manager, who I was not particularly fond of but was intrigued by what came out of her mouth. She asked if I wanted to be a part of the “Super Colon” expo that was taking place at the Battlefield Mall. This was about six or seven years ago. I was hesitant at first but nonetheless still intrigued. It would be an overtime paid work day and I wouldn’t have to step a single foot in one of our Endoscopy suites, where there is nothing but gassy behinds and gagging upper GI scopes. So needless to say I agreed. I spent eight hours that day talking to complete strangers about this walk-through segment of a colon and what all the parts were as well as what types of diseases can affect the colon and why it was so important to have a Colonoscopy either when you turn 50 or earlier if colon cancer runs in your family. Ever since that day I have not had a single problem addressing large groups of people. If that would have been the promise of every day of work in the Endoscopy unit I would still be there today, but as soon as I had the opportunity to get out, I was gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment