Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Journal Post 07/09/2014

What a terrible scare we had today. My son was playing in the yard and I was closely watching. Out of the corner of my peripheral vision I see something moving towards Braden. I quickly look over to focus my eyes on the object and realize I am staring at a small copperhead. Copperhead snakes are extremely venomous and popular in this area. Typically copperheads will not advance towards people unless they feel threatened or trapped. I don’t think his intention was to harm my son, but I wasn’t about to risk it. I grabbed my gardening spear and ran to the snake. My heart nearly exploded when the snake struck at me but it quickly turned and rerouted back towards the woods. I didn’t feel comfortable enough to get close enough to throw the spear at the snake. In my own fear that I would miss and irritate him further, so I retreated to Braden and scooped him up. I took him inside and interrogated him to make sure he had not been bit. Although I was almost certain he had not, the thought was still so real in my mind that if I hadn’t been watching the outcome could have been very grim. I don’t know what I would do without my son. I have asked myself that question a thousand times, just out of sheer fear of anything ever happening to him. I don’t know that I could live know it would be forever without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment