Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Journal Post 07/01/2014



    Unfortunately this is a terrible day; I am so disgusted I can hardly think. We had a patient this morning in our clinic walk up to the admission desk and make a comment to another patient who happened to be battling cancer this:, "you cancer people don't know how lucky you is, I can never get my hair to do what I want, I might just do it up like yours and shave my head...I guess you have cancer right?!" The poor lady (who had cancer) was so classy, rather than winding up and punching that lady in the face, she just sweetly smiled and went about her business without addressing her verbal abuser. Later I had to ask her how she kept her composure; she simply said this, "honey you can't fix stupid, her ignorance has to be worse than my cancer." What a statement that was. She was so calm, it absolutely amazed me, it made me think about the things that upset me on a daily basis that are not actually problems and I need to take a step back and praise God for how lucky I am. For goodness sake, I am healthy, I have a beautiful family, a stable job, a roof over my head and I am able to keep my families bellies full. Things that I take for granite every day and I should be so ashamed for doing so. I thought about what I might have done had I been in the sweet lady’s position today and someone had  said something so offensive and rude to me; I can assure anyone reading this that I would not have had the same composure, but what would I have gained from this? The answer is nothing, maybe a sore fist, but the ignorant woman would still be ignorant and she will undoubtedly say something rude to another person on another day. I can only pray for her and learn from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment